Sunday, January 3

Best in Beauty 2015: Makeup

2016 has arrived! I've pinned up a brand new calendar and written the first entry in my five year diary. So far I've not worn a stitch of makeup for the whole year but that's likely to change, and when it does I'm sure to be pulling out some of my favourites from the last year. Here they are.


This time last year I finally picked up one of Stilla's Convertible Colour blushes in a post Christmas sale. I have the colour Tulip and it's still the only colour I own but it's a beauty and I've been wearing it all year. I love the high pigment and thick cream consistency that leaves a natural flush to the cheeks. It lasts pretty well on me though I always find blush is the first thing to fade. My only quibble is the packaging - which looks gorgeous and is lightweight with a mirror, but unfortunately cracked on me after a month or so of use.

Something else I bought at the beginning of the year was one of Pixi's Mesmerising Mineral eyeshadow palettes in the colour Rich Gold. I wanted this as a slim neutral palette that I could pack for trips away and it's perfect. I've been reaching for the shades anytime I have do do my makeup quickly as the brown, gold and green toned shades create some lovely neutral eye looks in a flash. I also took this into work a few times when I had an event but didn't want to do my makeup in the morning. Overall I love this palette but I really wish that the palest shade was better. It's a real let down as the other shades are lovely and soft and pigmented while the highlight is powdery and patchy.

Another eye product that is brilliant for a super quick eye look is the No7 Stay Perfect Shade and Define stick. I have this in two colours but reach for Cool Mink all the time. This provides a brilliant base for eye shadow and lasts all day. It's also a gorgeous colour on it's own and applies and blends really easily. Take a look at this easy smoky eye post to see this and the Pixi palette in use.

Rimmel's Scandal Eyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal remained a staple as I love it for brightening up my waterline and opening my eyes. It's a well loved product and you can't go wrong for £4 but I sometimes wish that it was a tad lighter to match my pale skin. So far though I've not found anything that beats it on the highstreet.

Staying on the eyes I have two more favourites; one a new discovery and another an old staple. The long time staple is Soap and Glory's Supercat felt tip eyeliner and it's been my go to eyeliner for years now. This delivers jet black liner which lasts for ages in a convenient pen for just £6. The product lasts a long time too as it never dies out.

My new discovery is part of H&M's beauty range which launched this year much to the appreciation of beauty bloggers everywhere. They really hit the nail on the head with their pencils and I've been reaching for their eyeliners pretty much everytime I do my makeup. I have a few shades which are all wonderfully buttery smooth and stay put the whole day, but my pick of the bunch is Over the Taupe because it's such an easy to wear neutral. Perfect for finishing of a look by smudging out on your lower lid.

Moving onto brows, this year I finally found a brow mascara that works for me in the form of L'Oreal's Brow Artiste Plumper. I love this due to: it's tiny brush that gives you lots of play during application; it's formula which holds every hair in place without sticking them all together or flaking off throughout the day; and it's colour which is a great non-orange brown.

This year I've completely changed my foundation routine which on most days was honestly pretty much non existent as I would stick to concealer. I finally picked up YSL's Le Teint Touche Eclat foundation which fast became my favourite. I love it's dewy and hydrating formula which glides over my skin and never clings to a dry patch. It has sheer coverage but because it's brightening it does a brilliant job of evening out the skin and covering darkness beneath the eyes. It feels weightless on the skin and I think it lasts pretty well throughout the day. It's also one of the few foundations that matches my very pale skin and doesn't wash me out. It's £31.50 but I use the smallest amount and I'm confident it will last for a year.

My foundation application changed too when in June I purchased my first Beauty Blender! I'd previously had the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge which I do like but it really doesn't old a patch against the original. I've spoken in length about it's benefits here so I''ll round up quickly by saying that it blends out foundation wonderfully, keeps the coverage of your foundation and leaves a really skin-like finish.

Something that hasn't changed is my love for the Bourjois Java Rice Powder (Poudre de Riz). This is a beautifully lightweight powder that sets makeup without mattifying. It's never cakey, it's illuminating but not glittery and it smells beautiful. You can't deny it's gorgeous vintage packaging either.

Finally for lips I've been loving H&M's lip liners, particularly the shade Savour Faire. This is a gorgeous understated pink that really flatters my skin tone. It's pretty and brightening without being a statement. It's long lasting formula does wonders as a base underneath other lipsticks too.

There are my 2015 makeup favourites - 11 staples that have seen me through the year and I know will all receive a lot more love. What did you enjoy in 2015?

Stilla Convertible Colour, £16, Pixi Mesmerising Mineral eyeshadow palette, £15, No7 Stay Perfect Shade and Define, £8, Rimmel Scandal Eyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal, £3.99, Soap and Glory Supercat, £6, H&M Eyeliner, 3.99, L'Oreal Paris Perfection Brow Artiste Plumper, £5.99, YSL Le Teint Touche Eclat, £31.50, Beauty Blender, £16, Bourjois Java Rice Powder, £9.99, H&M Lip Liner, £3.99.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting :)